When tenants report that a repair is needed they have a right to expect that the Association will respond within a certain period of time.
If a tenant is unhappy about the speed of the service, he or she has the right to ask for a written explanation of why the response time was not complied with.
Initial Information to Tenants
Either at the time of their first call, or by a follow-up call from Arcon, tenants reporting repairs will normally be given the following initial information:
- Whom they can expect to come round, for example a contractor, a Maintenance Officer or a Housing Officer, depending on the nature of the repair and the need for a pre-inspection.
- When they might expect the first visit and the response time associated with the type of repair requested.
- Why the work may be delayed or may not be done, for example repairs which are the tenant’s responsibility.
Within 24 hours—emergencies
Respond and repair or overcome the worst effects of:
- Damage to windows and doors at ground floor or basement level which may result in a breach of building security.*
- Lack of water (excluding mains water).
- Blocked drains, etc, likely to cause flooding or further damage.
- Major plumbing leaks.
- Serious electrical faults.
- Damage likely to be hazardous to life or limb, for example loose masonry.
- Repairs to the homes of victims of harassment.
- Failure of security systems.
Note : *In all circumstances break-ins or attempted break-ins must be reported to the Police and a Crime Incident Number obtained.
Within 3 working days—urgent repairs
Respond and where necessary effect temporary repairs or supply temporary appliances.
- Roof leaks.
- Less serious repairs to electrics, gas, water, sewerage and security service systems where the equipment is still functioning.
Within 10 days—non urgent repairs
- Blocked gutters.
- Broken rainwater pipes.
- Blocked yard gullies.
- Broken or defective windows above ground floor.
- Minor plumbing leaks.
- Minor roof leaks.
Within 20 working days—routine repairs
- Replacement of defective fittings and installations such as windows, doors, sanitary fittings.
Within 90 working days—major repairs and insurance claims
- Damp/defective DPC.
- Brickwork and external joinery.
- Repairs caused by trees.
- External paths, steps and fences.
Repairs to Central Heating and Hot Water Supplies
Liberty Gas have been instructed to provide a comprehensive Service Contract for the repair of central heating boilers. This service ensures an annual visit and safety check and if a breakdown occurs, priority attention, free labour and parts.
Liberty Gas have undertaken, subject to workload and labour availability, to call within 24 hours, in response to any breakdown or failure of the central heating.
If you require repairs, please do not contact this office during office hours, but ring Liberty Gas on telephone number 0330 333 5786 or by email on arcon, quoting your full postal address including post code and stating that you are an Arcon tenant. Please telephone 0161 214 4120 if calling out of office hours. @liberty-group.co.uk
So that we are able to monitor the performance of Liberty Gas, repair monitoring forms are available on request from the office. These should be returned immediately if you consider the service received to be inadequate.
Heating and Insulation
Funds may be available to improve existing heating and insulation and if you consider these could be improved please inform the Maintenance Department in writing.
Where a repair is undertaken that is considered the tenant’s responsibility then all costs incurred will be fully rechargeable. To avoid unnecessary expense please refer to the Repair Guide.
Where damage to the fabric of the building is the result of a break-in, vandalism or a dispute then this must be reported to the police. You will be issued a Rechargeable Repair Notification which must be completed and returned to the office to allow an assessment of the details surrounding the repair. Where a repair has arisen following break-in, attempted break-in, vandalism or a dispute, a Police log number or Crime Incident Number must be provided. Depending on the circumstances, a repair may still remain fully rechargeable even after a Police log number or Crime Incident Number has been provided.