Arcon Housing Association Limited


  1. Home
  2. Tenants
  3. Paying Your Rent
  4. Financial Help & Advice

Financial Help & Advice

How we can help

If you are having problems paying your rent or service charge, contact us as soon as possible. We can offer confidential help, advice and support.

We can make agreements with you to reduce your arrears by paying a little extra each week until your arrears are cleared in full.

We can visit you in your home to discuss any problems, help you complete any forms and make sure you have the correct supporting documents.


If you are worried about debt you can get free and confidential advice and help.

Debts tend to grow so it is important you begin to sort out your problems now. The best way to tackle debts is to make a plan.

Do not be pushed into making payments you cannot afford. If you are being harassed by a creditor call National Debtline on 0808 808 4000.

Maximise your income: benefits and tax credits

Extra income might be available to you if you belong to one or more of the following groups:

You can use our online benefit checker (opens a new window) to work out how much you could claim.

Your housing officer or the Citizens Advice service can also help you find out about and claim all the benefits you are entitled to.

Please see our page on Welfare Reform for details on changes to benefit that may affect you.

Find details of your local housing benefit department here.

Credit Unions

All tenants of Arcon Housing Association can now benefit from membership of Manchester Credit Union. This follows recent changes to government legislation, which allowed the credit union to extend its “common-bond” to include all tenants of Arcon Housing, regardless of where they live.

Credit unions are not-for-profit, member owned financial co-operatives.  They offer a range of products and services such as:

Savings Accounts

Affordable Loans

Credit Union Current Account (CUCA)

Rent Direct Account

The Credit Union has developed a new account specifically so that tenants can stay on top of their rent and/or Council tax, keeping your home secure.

All Credit Union members also benefit from free life savings and loan protection insurance.

To become a member of Manchester Credit Union, download a Membership Application Form and return it to Arcon’s office.  You will also need to provide one form of photographic ID, such as a valid passport or driving licence, and two recent proofs of address e.g. recent utility bill or bank statement.

Membership application forms can be downloaded from Manchester Credit Union or by phoning 0161 231 5222.
You can also speak to your Housing Officer, who will have copies of forms and can answer question and help you to become a member.

Help with your utility bills

There are lots of ways to save money on utility bills, helping you to reduce spending.

Your supplier may have a social tariff—a reduced rate for the elderly and those on low incomes and benefits. Contact your supplier to find out if you are eligible.

If you are aged 60 or over you may get a Winter Fuel Payment to help with the costs of keeping warm in winter. Contact the Winter Fuel Payments Helpline on 08459 15 15 15 for more information.

For more information about reducing your fuel bills, see our Fuel Information Pack.

Remember, you cannot be disconnected for water rates debts.

Some water companies threaten to disconnect a property because ‘they think the property is empty’. Make sure you keep in touch with the company as they may try to do this if nobody has answered their letters for some time.

If your water company has threatened to disconnect your supply, ring them and make sure that they understand that you are still in the property and they cannot disconnect the supply.

My Home Energy Switch

My Home Energy Switch is a partnership between the National Housing Federation and You can save money on gas and electricity using their free, impartial online or telephone service.

You can compare all the suppliers and tariffs by visiting or by calling the helpline on 0800 0515346. It only takes a few minutes to switch and they take care of all the paperwork.

All you need is a recent energy bill for the online service. Call the number above if you do not have one.

For more information call 0800 001 4706, go to or email