Arcon Housing Association Limited


  1. Home
  2. Tenants
  3. Paying Your Rent
  4. Financial Help & Advice

Financial Help & Advice

How we can help

If you are having problems paying your rent or service charge, contact us as soon as possible. We can offer confidential help, advice and support.

We can make an agreement with you to reduce your arrears by paying an amount, each week, so that your arrears are cleared quickly. We can visit you in your home to discuss any problems, help you complete any forms and make sure you have the correct supporting documents.


If you are worried about debt you can get free and confidential advice and help.

Debts tend to grow so it is important you begin to sort out your problems now. The best way to tackle debts is to make a plan.

Do not be pushed into making payments you cannot afford. If you are being harassed by a creditor call National Debtline on 0808 808 4000.

Maximise your income

Extra income might be available to you if you:

You can use a Benefits Calculator to see what you are entitled to and how to make a claim. View your Council's Benefits Department contact details.

Manchester Credit Union

Find out more about the financial help and advice, on offer through Manchester Credit Union

You can also learn more about the many ways to save money, on your utility bills

Help with your utility bills

Energy and Water Bills

Saving Money

There are lots of ways to save money on your energy and water bills. You can:

  • pay by direct debit and paperless billing.
  • take regular meter readings. Bills based on estimated readings mean that you could end up paying more than you use
  • compare suppliers, through comparison websites, finding the best prices
  • save energy by making small changes to the way you use energy and water as this can have noticeable effects on your bills.

Social Tariff

Your supplier may have a social tariff which offers a reduced rate for older people and those on low incomes and benefits. Contact your supplier to find out if you are eligible

Winter Fuel Payment

If you are aged 60 or over you may get a Winter Fuel Payment to help with the costs of keeping warm in winter. Contact the Winter Fuel Payments Helpline on 03459 15 15 15 for more information.

Fuel Information Pack

For more information on reducing your fuel bills, see our Fuel Information Pack

Water rate debts

Remember, you cannot be disconnected for water rates debts. Some water companies threaten to disconnect properties because they ‘think’ they are empty. They might go down this route if their letters have gone unanswered, for some time. If your water company has threatened to disconnect your supply, contact them and make sure they understand that you are still in the property and your supply cannot be disconnected.

Green Star Energy

Green Star Energy is a partnership between the National Housing Federation and You can save money, on gas and electricity, using their free, impartial online or telephone service.

You can compare all the suppliers and tariffs by visiting The Green Star Energy website or by calling the helpline on 0800 0014 706. It only takes a few minutes to switch and they take care of all the paperwork.

All you need is a recent energy bill for the online service. Call the number above if you do not have one.