Financial Help & Advice
How we can help
If you are having problems paying your rent or service charge, contact us as soon as possible. We can offer confidential help, advice and support.
We can make an agreement with you to reduce your arrears by paying an amount, each week, so that your arrears are cleared quickly. We can visit you in your home to discuss any problems, help you complete any forms and make sure you have the correct supporting documents.
If you are worried about debt you can get free and confidential advice and help.
Debts tend to grow so it is important you begin to sort out your problems now. The best way to tackle debts is to make a plan.
- Work out all the money you have coming in. Can your income be increased? For instance, can you claim more benefits or tax credits?
- Work out your regular expenditure (other than your debts). Is there any way to reduce your spending?
- Work out how much you have left to pay your debts and prioritise your debts.
- Get help from a non-profit debt counselling service.
- Think very carefully before borrowing money to pay off your debts.
Do not be pushed into making payments you cannot afford. If you are being harassed by a creditor call National Debtline on 0808 808 4000.
Maximise your income
Extra income might be available to you if you:
- Pay rent.
- You are on a low income or claiming benefits.
- Your savings are below a certain level – usually £16,000.
You can use a Benefits Calculator to see what you are entitled to and how to make a claim. View your Council's Benefits Department contact details.
Manchester Credit Union
Find out more about the financial help and advice, on offer through Manchester Credit Union
You can also learn more about the many ways to save money, on your utility bills