Arcon Housing Association Limited


  1. Home
  2. Tenants
  3. Paying Your Rent
  4. Benefits Information

Benefits Information

You could be entitled to some assistance which may help with paying your rent. Details of the various benefits are provided below.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit replaces a number of benefits, for working age new claimants and families or some existing claimants and families and is usually triggered by a change in circumstances. Through Universal Credit, you will be paid all your benefits monthly, including an amount for your rent. You will have to budget for all your household expenses and you have to pay your full rent to your landlord. You can still claim if you are working and your income varies. View further information on the Government's benefits website and how to claim.

Housing Benefit

You should apply to your local council, to get help paying your rent. The same claim will be used for your Council Tax support. Housing Benefit is assessed on the whole household’s income so if other working age residents have incomes, you will get less Housing Benefit and have to pay more rent. Your Housing Benefit will be reduced by 14%, for the first extra bedroom you have and by a maximum of 25%, if you have two or more extra bedrooms (working age only). View your local council’s Benefit Department contact details.

Council Tax Support

All working age households have to pay some Council Tax, to their local councils. The minimum to be paid is usually around 15% of the Council Tax bill but it can be more.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

In some cases, you can apply to the Housing Benefit Department for extra money, on a temporary basis. These are known as Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) and you should initially contact our Customer Hub, if you would like some advice over eligibility.

Carers and Disability Benefits

These include Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Carer’s Allowance, Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). There are other benefits available. Click here to check out the Government’s website, find out more and see if you are eligible. View further information on the Government's benefits website and how to claim .

Benefit Cap

If your household gets more than £20,000 a year in benefits (£13,400 for single households), you may be subject to the Benefit Cap and have the amount you receive reduced. This means you will have to pay more rent to your landlord.

The GOV.UK website gives More information about all benefits and financial support on the Government's website.

Council Contact Details

To see if you qualify for benefits view your local council’s Benefit Department contact details.